Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2019 14:01:10 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Why is Sendmail still around?

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 12:12:12 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> If you know an easy way to do the same as above, but with SMTP,

	The mail relay uses SMTP, if you need to pass authentication
details then you need to use the authinfo file AIUI, I've never tried it
with sendmail I use exim to relay outgoing mail from clients to an smtp
relay - my ISP provides one but it fails to deliver to some places.

> let me know. Since my provider stopped offering the mail relay,
> I had to put the SMTP details into my GUI MUA's configuration

	Yeuch.

> and now have to wait for the annoying progress bar instead of
> the previously possible "click and forget", and I currently
> do not have my own _real_ mail server... ;-)

	I wouldn't attempt to run an outgoing mail server doing direct MX
lookup and delivery these days they anti-spam measures are a nightmare.
OTOH reliable delivery relays are not that common either.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>