Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:14:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Julian Stacey <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com>, "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: spam

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Julian Stacey wrote:

> >     I can only hope that our illustrious congress has grown as tired of
> >     spam as I have and will fix the law to simply ban it.
> > 						-Matt
>
> That would help, (most SPAM I receive even in Germany is from USA), but
> spammers would move offshore from USA & still target us, just as most German
> language spamming is now from countries outside Germany, so presumably German
> language spammers pay foreign intermediaries or subsidiaries to spam.
>
> Hostile counter attacks could supplement laws & filtering ...
> - I got a panic stricken international phone call from a UK
>   spammer near where I used to live, after I mailed & threatened
>   to report him to local police &/or launch net attacks on his facilities.
> - Anyone know of PD sourced tools & indexes that automate co-ordination
>   of hostile counter attacks on identified spammers ?

Don't counterattack, you have to be 250% sure the server is the spammers
own, and his alone. What if the spammer either is just a client, or has
broken into the server?
It is not legal to break your neigbours house, even if it is to shut down
his 500W stereo.
I believe somebody got into serious trouble by launching a worm, which
closed holes other worms could use.

> PS Maybe if we were to regularly automatically scramble all email addresses
> in our web searchable mail archives ? just inserting  ._ErAsE_ThIs_. in every
> email address would protect us from easy harvesting by simple spammer robots.

Yeah, that would help for 3 months or so. Then the harvesters will be
adapted.

The way to go, I think is procmail based content filters, and dnsbl, like
spamcop.
I report many spams to spamcop.

Leif