Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 13:03:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanton Atticizing is bad

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> And >>>ONLY<<< if somebody feels strongly enough about some of
> this, to go and actively maintain it, is reintroduction open to
> discussion

Even with timidity, there should DEFINITELY be an OPL/3 driver. I would like to
take over the VoxWare driver.

> And don't forget: the code can be found in the Attic.
>
> Further hitlist candidates are:
>
> 	X-ten
> 	IPFILTER

Wasn't this _just_recently_ committed? Why commit it in the first place if
noone really wants it? Personally, I use IPFW.

> 	alog
> 	gp
> 	asc
> 	gsc
> 	mse

IIRC I've seen people who used this.

> 	spigot
> 	spkr

Good riddance.

> 	lpt (ppbus will be standard)

Good, and (you should) make the change in GENERIC. Ppbus works exceptionally
well, lpt is really deprecated.

> 	ctx
> 	(Suggestions welcome!)

What was the reasoning behind ft though?
Anyway, I think that taking suggestions for driver removal should be done on
a MUCH larger basis, not just asking -core and -current list reasers. We
should try to assess the hardware and software usage of a WIDE range, not just
the smaller amount who read the mailing lists. Perhaps some sort of poll on
www.freebsd.org for a few months voting for what drivers to keep? For now, I
think that sound and probably ft should be back in, at least for 3.0.1. But
we need more opinions of course :)

> If you consider yourself maintainer of one of these, and therefore
> think that the driver should be spared, please send me email.
>
> In the future we >may< require that sufficent hardware is available
> at the FreeBSD Test Labs (contact: msmith@freebsd.org) to test the
> vital life signs of a driver before it gets imported into FreeBSD.
>
> Mandatory historical perspective section:  Find out why the ship
> Wasa was built such that it sank before it even made it out of the
> harbour.  If we keep adding to FreeBSD and never weed out, it will
> sink under its own weight.
>
> Poul-Henning
>

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9812271137490.4682-100000@janus.syracuse.net>, Brian
> Feldman writes:
> >  In the cleanups today, things were broken and irreplacable things deleted.
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> "ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal

 Brian Feldman						  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org				      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
		      http://www.freebsd.org/	 _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
 FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!		   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/