Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:05:20 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Joe Abley <jabley@patho.gen.nz>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

At 4:28 PM +1200 1999/9/24, Joe Abley wrote:

>   How much mail does the use of the MAPS DUL reject?

	I don't know about the stats from hub.freebsd.org, but from my
experience it rejects a relatively small amount.

>   How much of that do you think is worth rejecting?

	Again, from my experience, most of it.  Damn few dial-up users
around the world are clueful enough to be able to run their own mail
server properly, and to be able to prevent it from being used as an
open relay.

	IME, the *vast* majority of people with dial-up accounts that
attempt to directly contact remote servers are in fact junkmailers
that are attempting to secretly send out their effluent while
by-passing the mail servers provided by their ISP, so that they
hopefully don't get detected.

	A classic example of this would be someone using a throwaway AOL
account to send out as many junkmail messages as they can in several
hours through a number of open relays, knowing that they will be
detected and the "free" account will be terminated in a few hours.

	This is becoming pretty standard practice, and is generally recommended.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.