Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:06:57 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gjp@in-addr.com>, Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 10:56:30AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> Should a BOF at BSDCon be asked for to discuss these issues?  I think
> it would make for a hot and heated BOF with lots of understanding
> by both the ISP and user community about where the current state of the
> art is headed with respect to filtering, redirection, and other tools
> being applied to combat the spam problem.

I'd be surprised if it's worthwhile.  Those of us that are knowledgeable
enough to be complaining about automatic port 25 redirects are also smart
enough to configure our systems so that they're not open relays[1].

I don't think any of us have a problem with ISPs doing it as long as there
always remains a way to opt out.  Any ISP that starts restricting the
host/port combinations that hosts on my side of the link can talk to on
the wider Internet will lose my custom very quickly.

[1]  I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.
     http://www.abuse.net/relay.html is a useful tool to check whether or
     not you have things configured correctly.
--
 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs