Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 2010 15:18:39 +0100
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        Rick <lists.rick@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome2-lite and epiphany

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 08:49 -0500, Rick wrote:
> I am talking about gnome2-lite here, not the standard gnome2.  Anyone
> that wants epiphany is free to add it just like any other port.

Yes, and the same can be said about metacity (who ever uses that, Compiz
is all the rage these days), nautilus (tons of dependencies and like,
every true hacker should be using midnight commander anyway), evolution
(*something* *something* gmail *something* clawmail *something*), totem
(yeah I love my mplayers too)... Do I need to continue?

While you might feel some specific hate towards Epiphany which I'm not
in position to analyze (judging purely from the fact that pulling the
monstrous libxul via yelp doesn't seem to concern you at all) - it's
still a default Gnome browser and an integral part of the whole "desktop
experience", as - as we all know - many desktop users use to browse the
web sometimes.

It's only perfectly reasonable to ship FreeBSD releases with this
default, clean, light and secure browser, which, by pure coincidence, is
also completely awesome and for many people that don't live in the
"browser OS world", it's just THE brower they need and are happy with.

So what exactly is your proposal? Ship gnome-lite just without every
single end-user Gnome application, because there are people that don't
use that particular one? It's called "gnome-lite", not "gtk-libs-only".

Just my two cents.

m.

--
Michal Varga,