Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:52:11 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>, Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

At 12:40 PM 12/18/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

>Right now, there is a library which all compiled programs get linked
>with in order to obtain the startup code.
>
>There is a special exception for this library, but in effect, all
>programs are linked with this code, with the exception of the
>standalone programs (boot, etc.), and the kernel.
>
>If the license on this code were changed, then anything compiled
>with the GNU toolchain could come under the influence of the GPL,
>in a future revision of the compiler, of if someone chose to use
>the "or newer version" clause of the lciense.
>
>That said, I think this is incredibly unlikely, since the people
>maintaining EGCS and glibc have already said "no" to similar
>requests regarding the compiler and the "reference implementation"
>of the C library.

Dare we risk this? Remember, the FSF owns the code 100%. If Richard
and Brad say that it to be licensed in a particular way it does
not matter what anyone else would like. Their recent remarks suggest
that they are merely waiting for what they feel is an opportune
moment. They have stated, in a recent interview posted on Slashdot,
the FSF's official stance: that programmers should not be ALLOWED to
publish code under any license other than the GPL.

--Brett Glass