Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 21:21:04 -0600
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
Cc:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on LS-120 drive support? (moving to chat...)

Paul Griffith wrote:

> >Macs recently started using IDE.  But I don't know how well the
> >(laughable) ATAPI/IDE standard handles cross-platform issues.
> >
> >Happy hacking,
> >joelh
>
> The Macs notebooks all now have internal IDE HD and CDROMS, but all there
> current computers have external SCSI. On the higher end Mac it's all SCSI,
> internal and external. Apple has set ATAPI/IDE for it's PB, home, and
> educational due to lower cost factor.
>
> Paul Griffith
> BTW: Some of the Macs now come standard with SCSI Zip drives.

	Well, I was working at FWB when they put out their EIDE/IDE-capable
Hard Disk Toolkit and CDROM toolkit, so I saw a lot of testing, and a
lot of data. The Mac-based implementation of IDE is hoky at best, but
almost 100% of drives that work on PC's will work on Macs. The problem
for an IDE non-hd is getting a driver for said drive.
	Oh, and as an aside, Apple also chose the IDE drive for powerbooks
because of power needs vs. performance. That's also the reason there
hasn't been an internal terminator since the 5300/190/2300, and that all
internal terminators on PowerBooks have been hoky at best.
--
SCSI is *not* magic.  There are many technical
reasons why it is occasionally nessicary to