Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:11:26 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@Lamb.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

>On Nov 14, 11:50pm, Dror Matalon wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:
>>

>> > This discussion is getting really stupid......
>> No doubt about that.
>
>I didn't followed most of it, because I don't like such high volume threads ;-)
>

>> > Look...all of the mentioned product work fine...if they didnt they none
>> > of us would be in business. The original question of cisco 25XX  vs
>> > ET is a simple one......
>>
>> Am I the only paranoid person on this list or are there other people
>> that would not feel comfortable running FreeBsd as a router unless
>> they were mirroring the disk. FreeBsd are great servers, but if
>> anything fails it's the disk. I'd rather not have this extra
>> risk on my routers.
>
>No, you are not. I am totaly paranoid regarding moving parts, like harddisks
>primary. Ok, a Cisco has also a fan, but in a 2501 it doesn't matter so much if
>it doesn't work, if the machine room is correctly designed. And a 7xxx tells
>me, if the temperature gets to high. That are just convient things.
>
>Right now I am using primary a Cisco Access Pro card, because it only takes the
>power from the PC, and a dying PC power supply I haven't had a longer time.
>
>But it will change to a 72xx soon.
>

>> Also, for our customers we're happy with the Ascend Pipeline 130
>> with built in CSU.  You can get one for less than $1200 it does
>> Frame and even has an ISDN line for backup. These units
>> are the same size of a Pipeline 50 -- not much bigger than most
>> modems. Is a Freebsd box with a T1 card and a CSU any cheaper?
>
>P130 is not bad, but 1.) no other routing protocol beside RIP. Ascend promisded
>OSPF in January to be available in February. Still nothing today. Also the P130
>is a P50 in reality. If you ever open one, you will find "P50 T1 CSU" on the
>pcb. the mainboard is marked as "P50 with POT interface". I have heard from
>people the P130 is not powerfull enough to handle T1 with primary smaller
>packets. Don't know how true it is, but I can image it.
>
>I will will probably sell customer it, because a Cisco 1600 cost the double.
>

>> > 1) you dont have to know unix to use a cisco
>> > 2) Ciscos are fine if you have 1 ethernet and 1 T1. More than that
>> > they have questionable horsepower....
>> > 2) cisco are just routers....Freebsd boxes are servers also and
>> > clearly more flexible and expandable.
>> >
>> > As for which card to buy...different vendors have different options
>> > and features and prices. You have to do your homework to determine
>> > which you prefer.
>> >
>> > db

this is so silly...how long does is take to swap a HDD once a year?
If your server goes down you're in deep doodoo anyway, even if the
router stays up....you're spending thousands extra....an it takes months
sometimes to get a new card from cisco if you have a failure, and you
can have an entire spare PC available for the cost of a cisco serial
card spare. Its nuts....

Dennis