Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:36:39 GMT
From:      Steve Brown <gtabug@prayforwind.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

This is really getting [OT] but I have to ask: What's the ratio of legal=
=20
vs. pirated software use here in Canada? A few years ago Peter Dvorak (P=
C=20
magazine) stated in an article that Canadians were among the world's=20
worst software pirates. But when I was in Hong Kong & China I saw that=20
they openly sell copies of popular titles for about the cost of a Big=20
Mac, so I fear we've lost the honor to Asia ;)

On 11/29/01, 9:07:29 PM, "Anthony Atkielski"=20
<anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> wrote regarding Re: Feeding the Troll (W=
as:=20
freebsd as a desktop ?):

> Uli writes:

> > No. Piracy is not a major problem in Europe.

> Piracy rates for Western Europe are about 40% higher than they are for=
=20
North
> America; overall, more than a third of software products in Western=20
Europe are
> pirated (versus 25% for North America).  Eastern Europe has the worst =

piracy
> rates in the world, at about 75%.  Asia and Latin America are tied at =

about 60%.
> The rates for North America are the lowest of any region in the world.=

> The dollar losses are about the same for both North America and Wester=
n=20
Europe.
> Americans don't cheat nearly as much, but they buy a lot more software=
=20
overall.

> > No. Dishonesty is not a cultural institution
> > in Southern Europe.

> I'm afraid this isn't true.  The piracy rates for France, Italy,=20
Portugal, and
> Spain are 39%, 44%, 47%, and 53%, respectively.  The rates for Finland=
,=20
Germany,
> and Norway are 30%, 27%, and 37%, respectively.

> > Italy is one of the worst offenders
> > Italy is a state and not a person.

> Irrelevant.  Actually, however, Italy is in fifth place (my mistake): =
=20
The
> leading offender is Greece, with a staggering 71% of software stolen=20
rather than
> paid for; in second and third place are Spain (53%) and, surprisingly,=
=20
Ireland
> (51%).

> > as the actual numbers prove?

> Yes.  See above.  These are BSA/SIIA figures for 1999.  They are down =

from
> preceding years, but still pretty bad.  Even in the United States, the=

> best-behaved of the lot, one person in four has stolen the software he=
 is=20
using.