Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:22:58 -0200
From:      Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez@wait4.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Performance Numbers

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:18:01 +0100
"O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> No, I complain about the dramatic performance drainage of FreeBSD and
> would also say, that my main purpose for an UNIX driven box isn't the
> service for network like routing, DNS and others. But I'm frightened by
> the poor network performance when I have MPI in vi>

OK, but DNS queries are short (less than 1 KB).  You probably know much
better than me (I also work with scientific computing, but it's been only 4
years) that you can't expect terrific performance with thousands of messages
per second -- this will always be your bottleneck.

As such, I believe it's unfair (and imprecise) to use DNS performance results
for a group communication (MPI) environment comparison.  I had good
experiences with MPI + FreeBSD, although don't have numbers to prove.

Regards.  :)

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez     <rnsanchez@{gmail.com,wait4.org}>