Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 15:11:52 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

>On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:
>
>> >Also, for our customers we're happy with the Ascend Pipeline 130
>> >with built in CSU.  You can get one for less than $1200 it does
>> >Frame and even has an ISDN line for backup. These units
>> >are the same size of a Pipeline 50 -- not much bigger than most
>> >modems. Is a Freebsd box with a T1 card and a CSU any cheaper?
>>
>> This is the same non-thinking argument that has been used for
>
>You sure have a way with words.

thanks!

>> a long time, and it makes no sense bacause you are not comparing
>> apples to apples. You still need a server with a standalone router,
>> so you have 2 points of failure instead of 1 (with an internal card).
>
>It makes perfect sense to me.
>1. I have a client that has a network they want to hook up to us, they
>want to set their mail and web server on an NT, Sun, Mac or whatever
>OS.am I going to tell them that they shouldn't do that that they
>should use the FreeBSD router that they get from us as their server?
>No, I don't.

No, but you could get a card for an NT box...this isn't just about
FreeBSD. It makes little sense to use freebsd as a 1 goesinto-
1 goesouta router....if your customer is stuck on NT then you
have little choice.

>2. If a disk fails on the web server, client machines can still
>go to the net. If the router's disk fails all Net services
>are dead in the water.

Assuming that the router goes down when the disk fails....my
Netware servers been up about 2 years now....and it takes an
awful lot of punishment. This argument had much more validity
in the MFM days....when life was different.

Dennis