Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 19:03:05 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for BusLogic BT958? (SCSI III UltraWide)

>Is there/will there be support for BusLogic's MultiMaster 958 PCI SCSI
>UltraWide controller?  It is my understanding that the BT958 is a superior
>SCSI UltraWide controller.  Does anyone know if this is true/false?  How
>does it compare against Adaptec's 2940UW?

The bt driver has always supported the BT958, even before it
existed. :-)  The bt driver supports *every* BusLogic SCSI controller,
with the same interface, except the new FlashPoint controllers.
Consult http://www.buslogic.com/ if you need help telling the
difference...

There have been a whole ton of posts on this, already (especially in
the last couple months on current-users and/or port-i386@NetBSD.org --
you might want to see if it's in the archives over there).  The
Adaptec is a more modern design with lower command overhead.  On very
fast drives, on a very fast system, it has the potential to be faster.
On my system (cheap drives, 486), I doubt I'd know the difference (I
use the BusLogic BT747 EISA controller).  The BusLogic is an excellent
quality controller, but the technology in the BT742-based designs
(which includes the BT958) is older than the Adaptec 2xxx controllers,
being more like the Adaptec 174x.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.