Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2022 09:51:46 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        Jonathan Vasquez <jon@xyinn.org>
Cc:        unkadoug@gmail.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, dougm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stable/13 - amdgpu broken with n253286-d8a88ec38149
References:  <snQZb56C8_w6mSKhfRxdwtwB35KXeflnMkLtXKlvMolXWxznSttHh5ihW7ysgYaRKmEmh-EicSa-o5A_SujHCFUzSKUX4gSRRleZbVifJTw=@xyinn.org> <5D2B4EDD-E277-4314-9CA9-CEACC67658DE@gmail.com> <tF26n_rAy1n5HBPeATV01jqnIrjCOACK_kEnhIcPS7iP6Y4oxZASpjQU6h9hhThKIJxY_qfZDVsI81lEn9OtMOOX8rVr3hnyPTIgeyJxPiw=@xyinn.org> <LH425fr1ZMsJ-3yyoOBsAggZVkvMP0LofnDzkYost3S6PxoQv3LhMPaHtAtz9m_N-GEa-aeJYxyONRjsoHwUDnRaaFsLrrBkDqq4YBTRErk=@xyinn.org>

 Hello Jonathan,

On Sat, 17 Dec 2022 02:42:42 +0000
Jonathan Vasquez <jon@xyinn.org> wrote:

> Oh, I think I understand a bit better what you meant. Yup, after I found =
which stable/13 commit was problematic, I compiled HEAD~1 which still works=
, then I recompiled drm-510-kmod and it's working now. But I still wanted t=
o report it since I'm guessing there will need to be some tweaks made to dr=
m-510-kmod so that it works again with the latest stable/13.

 There is no tweaks to be done for drm-kmod.
 In fact in the last two days to commits who broke KBI between 13.1 and
stable/13 were taken care of (one I've reverted and the other one being
the one Doug fixed).
 Yes it's a bit unfortunate for stable/13 users that we broke KBI a few
times and that you needed to recompile drm-kmod for it to work but what
I want is when 13.2 is released users don't have to recompile the ports
and can safely upgrade their machines (as the drm-510-kmod port will be
compiled on 13.1 for 3 months).

 Cheers,

> Jonathan Vasquez
> PGP: 34DA 858C 1447 509E C77A D49F FB85 90B7 C4CA 5279
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email
>=20

ulling the latest ports and cleanly reinstalling drm-510-kmod and gpu-firmw=
are-amd-kmod. But it still failed.

> > Jonathan Vasquez
> > PGP: 34DA 858C 1447 509E C77A D49F FB85 90B7 C4CA 5279
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email
> >
> > Sent from Proton Mail mobile

me binary-level representations. One who found that the kmod he built befor=
e those changes no longer worked pointed out my error. So I made a change t=
o stable/13 recently to restore the original representations, and satisfied=
 that person?s complaint. But, someone who built kmod recently will find th=
ings broken, the way the original fellow did. I can only apologize and ask =
you to rebuild non-kernel stuff based on the stable/13 of more than a day a=
go. I hadn?t considered the impact of my changes on non-kernel code.
> >> Doug
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPad

anymore. The machine will crash immediately upon load. After a bisect, I fo=
und the posted commit. This card uses the sienna_cichlid? flavor for gpu-fi=
rmware-amd-kmod.

Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com> <manu@freebsd.org>