Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:23:32 +0000
From:      Ryan M <freedom@72oot.net>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome2

Johnson David wrote:

>On Monday 24 June 2002 06:47 am, Ryan M wrote:
>

>>How come gnome.org seem to be obtuse and outdated?
>>

>As a KDE fan, my opinions are strong on this subject, but I will refrain from
>commenting...

I am using KDE to write this, but I like to see if there is something
better.

>>When i installed gnome2 on 4.6 release about half way through I got a
>>dialogue stating GDM is insecure, but you have to install it to
>>continue?  There should be a way around this, but i could not find it,
>>oohh well. i dont use it anyway...
>>

>Does it say *why* it's insecure? If it's because it's a suid executable, then
>there's not much you can do about it except not run it. Several X programs
>fall into this category. I believe XDM and KDM are suid as well.

The Why was vague, in searching on it I was able to find a announcement
from April 2002:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2002-April/msg00031.html

..."

Note4:  Distributors, packagers.  PLEASE DO NOT PACKAGE AND DISTRIBUTE THIS
VERSION AS STABLE SOFTWARE.  It's not stable.  It's broken.  And it
runs as root.  You get the idea. "...

>>I see in their Release roadmap that every new version breaks
>>compatibility with the previous.
>>

>This is due to their decentralized release process and lack of project
>cohesion. Every GNOME subproject has its own release schedule, dependencies
>and version. It can be very hard for a GNOME newbie to figure out. As one
>example, it's why some GNOME stuff requires imlib and others require
>gdkpixbuf. You've heard the saying "like trying to herd cats". Well, GNOME
>developers are like a bunch of cats with the release manager playing the
>pitiful role of cat herder.
>
>David

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message

Cat herder is close to it,

My only question is how did it end up this way in ports? and if I can
update the package 2.2.5.5?, but that is for some where else.

Ryan M