Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:03:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        "Dave J. Boers" <djb@wit389306.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still system hangs, but different

:%:I have.
:%
:%    Wait a sec.  I've reviewed all the messages from you and I think something
:%    got mixed together.  I'm not convinced that your particular problems
:%    are softupdates related.  I recommend turning off softupdates entirely
:%    for a few days to find out.
:
:Oh they are quite surely softupdates related.
:
:I got the "X still sorta works but anything that touches the disk wedges"
:flu today on a very current current.  Triggered by a cc build on
:(soft) linked filesystem, cured by reverting back a week or so.
:
:And yes, it is quite certainly v. 1.47 and ata.
:
:NBD..., if it was a real barrier to progress I'd disable softupdates.
:
:Regards,
:Russell

    I think what we need to concentrate on is figuring out exactly what
    is being wedged on.  Hence my DDB suggestion below.

    Reverting to an old -current doesn't guarentee that it's softupdates.
    If you turn off softupdates with tunefs on the filesystems and see
    if it occurs with a new kernel that will tell us for sure.  (But the
    DDB suggestion is more important, that will tell us exactly what is
    going on).

:%    I recommend enabling DDB in the kernel config.  The next time it locks
:%    up switch to the console (if you were in X) - which should work - and
:%    then ctl-alt-esc into DDB.  From there do a 'ps' and see if any processes
:%    are stuck in weird states.
:%

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon