Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 1997 10:32:09 -0400
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

At 11:23 AM 9/6/97 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 05, 1997 at 06:37:40PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> In order to combat the absolute flood of spam which has been coming
>> into my mailbox lately, I've gone to more aggressive sendmail filtering

>> If you're sending mail from a machine with no valid DNS entry then I
>> have another one word answer for you: Don't.  By doing so, you're only
>
>I do see one big problem,
>though: FreeBSD-questions.  A lot of the people out there either are
>complete newcomers to FreeBSD, or they lack the experience and
>understanding to comply with the new requirements.  A lot of them are
>AOL.  By implementing these measures, you may not kill -questions, but
>you'd certainly significantly reduce (maybe by up to half) the volume,
>and you would do even more harm to people who are interested and are
>just looking in.

I agree with this point.  Will users get some explanation of why their mail
was bounced, or will it just float off into nullspace?  And what of users
who are subscribed to the list?  Will they suddenly be able to receive mail
from the list but not send to it?  How do you even unsubscribe in that case?

I read my e-mail on Windows, so I don't know from MX records and bogus
usernames.  I filled out a rather simple set of forms in Eudora and dialed
my ISP; not a lot of room for such extensive filtering.  I'm not even sure
what my domain name is after it gets through my ISP.  I like to stay on
lists like hackers because it lets me learn by eavesdropping on more
knowledgable users.  (Not to mention the occasional amusement value.)  I
hope that the effort to block spammers doesn't hurt too many of us
legitimate but less-knowledgable users as well.

K.S.