Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:16:52 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 12:42:45 +0000 Grzegorz Junka list1@gjunka=2Ecom said

> On 13/04/2020 21:46, Chris wrote:
> >
> >> Thankfully, Linux code can't enter FreeBSD base because of different=
=20
> >> licensing=2E
> >>
> >> I hope you don't advocate for re-implementing drivers for FreeBSD?=20
> >> What about NVidia drivers that aren't even distributed with source=20
> >> code? Surely, they provide binary packages for FreeBSD, but without=20
> >> support for Vulkan for example=2E Without any documentation of the=20
> >> hardware ports how this could be even achieved?
> >>
> >> Besides, I am happy when I see a vendor or developer supports Linux,=
=20
> >> apart from the usual Windows or Mac, not even mentioning FreeBSD=2E=20
> >> Many don't even differentiate beyond Linux, listing support for=20
> >> FreeBSD under Linux and other distro sections!
> >>
> >> I think we need to be pragmatic about it=2E Neither AMD nor NVidia will=
=20
> >> provide FreeBSD drivers and FreeBSD can't implement those drivers,=20
> >> either for objective reasons (man power) or because it's not feasible=
=20
> >> (NVidia)=2E If we can reuse existing drivers that the manufacturers are=
=20
> >> releasing and updating frequently, and only focus on the=20
> >> compatibility layer, then why not?
> > Agreed=2E The challenges are many=2E How? How have we managed so far? Yes=2E
> > We've been (seemingly) forced to import video blobs for some (G|A)PUs=2E=
=20
> > But
> > what of the others? What of the French driver project; Nouveau? How hav=
> > they managed? Granted it *too* is Linux based=2E But they got there=20
> > *somehow*=2E
> > Would it be a worthy venture to start a project like that that either
> > imports && recobbles that project into "native" code? Or? I've been at=
=20
> > this
> > for over 50yrs, and I've amassed more hardware than you could imagine=2E=
=20
> > Need
> > to get FreeBSD on a Mac SE dsdd? NP=2E a PDP? Oh wait, that was done=20
> > l-o-n-g
> > ago=2E But I've got several models available -- just in case=2E
> > I'm serious=2E I'm willing to participate in whatever capacity I can=2E But
> > IMHO importing Linux stuff isn't really "keeping ahead of the curve"=2E
> >
>=20
> Are you trying to encourage developers to start a new project aimed at=20
> reimplementing major, sometimes closed, graphics drivers, for BSD, or=20
> even just FreeBSD? A project that would cost them lots of time and no=20
> pay but possibly a gratitude from happy users? If so, a comment to a=20
> post in a list group might not be sufficient=2E The idea would need to go=
=20
> out, developers evangelized, people convinced=2E=2E=2E As they say, the best=20
> [...]
Of course! Wasn't it obvious? ;-)

>=20
> Jokes aside, you might be overestimating what Nouveau was able to=20
> achieve=2E First of all, they reverse-engineer=2E That means a working=20
> driver might only appear on the market after the hardware has been=20
> released and reverse-engineered=2E Sometimes long after, if at all=2E
>=20
> Secondly, they only implement the minimum that's required to make them=20
> usable, which means no CUDA and no Vulkan support=2E Also look at this=20
> matrix <https://nouveau=2Efreedesktop=2Eorg/wiki/FeatureMatrix/>, especially=
=20
> all the mostly and todos for the already quite old chipsets=2E
>=20
> Lastly, Nouveau is mostly driven by RedHat's corporation money=20
> <https://www=2Ephoronix=2Ecom/scan=2Ephp?page=3Dnews_item&px=3DNouveau-2020-Ear=
ly-Status>=2E
>=20
> A project of this size needs a commercial sponsor just to keep up with=20
> the pace of changes=2E Or a foundation=2E FreeBSD already sponsors some work=
=20
> in the graphics stack but surely that wouldn't be enough for=20
> re-implementing drivers, so a new one?
So what you're basically saying; is that there really isn't that much inter=
est
in FreeBSD by any users worldwide=2E So any chance of attracting developers, =
and
or capitol is pretty much -1=2E
Depressing=2E :(

>=20
> From my point of view, accelerated graphics I mostly want to use on the=
=20
> desktop and I don't really care if it's coming from Linux or elsewhere=20
> as long as it properly supports all the latest features of my hardware=20
> so that my heard earned cash I spent on buying it is utilized=2E On the=20
> server I don't even use a graphic stack, I have IPMI or SSH, so none of=
=20
> the Linux parts affect it=2E
In all honesty, I build, deploy and run almost exclusively server images=2E
I only use a light DE for convenience on development on larger projects=2E
But still=2E=2E=2E

Guess it's time for me to start badgering some Intel && AMD employees=2E :)

Thanks! :-)
>=20
> --
> GrzegorzJ