Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 02:20:34 PST
From:      "Cosmic 665" <the_hermit665@hotmail.com>
To:        cwalker@computech-ca.com, dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good unix books [was: FreeBSD]

I have done exactly what you are talking about.  If you wanna know how to
setup a unix gateway/router, just let me know.  I'll need to know the
following

1. what kinda machine you have (processor, etc.)
2. what kinda connection you have (DSL, cable, etc.)
3. will the router/gateway be using 2 nics or one?
4. do you know howto compile a kernel?
5. which freebsd version you are running

send this to me in a *private* email (or this mailing list, it really
doesn't matter to me).  I'll send you some examples of how to setup a
router/gateway and you can play with them all you want :)

Here's some things you need to know:  FOR 3.2 & 3.4-RELEASE
1. rc.conf located in your /etc dir can be edited.  This file contain a lot
of the services needed at startup.

2, rc.conf in /etc/defaults/ I NOT TO BE TOUCHED!!! the rc.conf file in the
/etc contains the OVERRIDES.  Meaning, you will see things like "# --
sysinstall generated deltas -- #".  this mean these are the overides to the
/etc/defaults/rc.conf needed at startup.  where it says "ifconfig" is where
you edit you NIC card ex.

ifconfig_ep0  can be changeded to ifconfig_de0... etc.
NOTE:
    (edit the "ep0" & "de0" to your own nic)

the ifconfig line is the main "configure" paramater for you network cards.
to enable nat, add the line natd_enable="YES" to your rc.conf file.  You
will also need the natd_interface="ep0" to configure it to whichever nic
(keep in mind you have to edit the "ep0" part to your own personal nic).
gateway_enable="YES" in you rc.conf file turns you machine into a gateway.
router_enable="YES" turns on routing. I belive the router_enable="YES"
differs from gateway_enable="YES" in a sense that you can configure more
advanced routing options. defaultrouter="xx.xx.xx.xx" sets up the gateway of
the connection for the gateway box *If needed* (don't use this address on
your *client* boxes becuase they may not be able to see it).   Then all you
have to do is configure all your client boxes to the IP of the
Gateway/freeBSD box.

If you need any further help, email me.  also, visit:
http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/ for some basic help.  I'm gonna have a
website (soon maybe) containing all the info a *newbie* needs on setting up
various configurations under FreeBSD.

-cosmic-665