Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:10:01 GMT
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        vbox@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/182468: [patch] lang/gcc builds unrunnable emulators/virtualbox-ose

The following reply was made to PR ports/182468; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To: Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc: Bernhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@bluelife.at>,
        bug-followup <bug-followup@freebsd.org>, vbox@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/182468: [patch] lang/gcc builds unrunnable
 emulators/virtualbox-ose
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 06:01:34 +1100

 --82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

 On 2013-Nov-17 16:32:46 -0500, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
 >On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Bernhard Fr=F6hlich <decke@bluelife.at> w=
 rote:
 >>  I think the idea and approach is correct but I went for a slighly more
 >>  conservative
 >>  approach if _GCC_RUNTIME was not set which is true in case base gcc is =
 used=3D

 >This can not possibly be correct as the variable begins with a "_".
 >The initial proposed patch is also incorrect for a similar reason.
 >_GCC_RUNTIME is not valid for use in a ports Makefile.

 I completely agree.  As I initially stated, this is solely a work-
 around for a bug in lang/gcc*.  In fact the existing use of
 _GCC_RUNTIME in bsd.gcc.mk is equally wrong and is also just a work-
 around for lang/gcc* bugs.

 >Perhaps it would help if USE_GCC or USES=3Dcompiler exposed a variable
 >indicating the runtime?

 This is not correct either.  A port using lang/gcc should not need to
 know about the compiler internals.  If code compiled with gcc46 needs
 to be linked against non-standard libraries then using gcc46 for
 linking should be sufficient - it shouldn't be necessary to add
 magic "-Wl,-rpath=3D..." options.

 (IMO, the whole -L/-rpath approach is broken: The runtime searchpath
 should default to the linktime searchpath.  Unfortunately, fixing that
 isn't possible).

 --=20
 Peter Jeremy

 --82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs