Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:45:15 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Moh Bana <moh_bana@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD's ?

Moh Bana wrote:

>   Which cd is just required to install Freebsd ... i downloaded the 5.3
>   iso's, their seems to be some confusion their 4 cd's?
>
>   2 ISO's ranging from 600mb +
>   and one boot cd that is 20-30mb
>

>   Is the freebsd with X .... that big?

Probably not.  FreeBSD without X might be 400MB+.  That
said, it really depends on a lot of factors, since FBSD is
so customizable.

Before I go on, two disclaimers.  1] newbies@ isn't
a place for technicalquestions, and 2] I don't use the
ISO's myself....

Now, to debug those, 1] maybe your ?? isn't so technical, and
2] the naming scheme of the ISO's isn't that hard.

Bootonly is what it says.  A bootable CDROM with the installer,
and maybe some other stuff; but you'll need to be ready to
grab the code from another source (like via FTP).

"miniinst" is a CD that gets you the "minimum" installation of
FreeBSD; what's called "the base system".  No GUI; nothing
that's not maintained by the Project itself.  You could make
an SMTP server with it, an FTP server, NTP server, a shell server,
or ... well, you can't do much else that I can think of*, but the
point is, it's FreeBSD, the system is operable, and you can add
just about anything you want from there.  The CD contains the
installer, the binaries and manpages, crypto, contributed (GNU
and other) software (including the compiler), in short, everything
that's maintained by the Project itself (i.e., nothing from the ports
tree).  Also, no documentation except the aforementioned manual
pages.

"Disc 1" and "Disc 2" contain enough to get you going pretty big time.
In addition to the "base system", you can expect full source code tree,
the full ports tree, and enough tarballs in /usr/ports/distfiles to build
X, a bunch of window managers and DE's, servers of every description,
a number of programming languages, system utilities, networking tools,
games, etc., etc.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.

*FreeBSD maintains Sendmail, NTP, OpenSSH, and FTPD in
the source tree, along with a bunch of other stuff.  If you know
much about 'Nix-like OSes, you can get going with a minimum
install.  I don't know of anyone who uses a minimum install only ...
hmm, unless it's for one of the aforementioned, or a gateway,
or a router, or a firewall .. which I seem to have forgotten in the
above.  In short, the reason there's 4 CD's is because there's
a lot of flexibility in FBSD ... and probably, the reason there
aren't more is because you've gotta keep things simple
somehow ...