Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:14:16 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <pmh@hausen.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: noatime on ufs2

Hi folks,

that's a really interesting polite and constructive discussion going on here,
and a trip down history lane to boot :-)

I just want to add one thing to Warner's last argument:

> Am 14.01.2024 um 18:58 schrieb Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>:
> Though in all honesty, I've never been able to measure a speed difference.
> Nor have I worn out a ssd due to the tiny increase in write amp.

Recently on the OPNsense forum somehow an increasing number
of users started to post worried questions regarding a constant
write load on the system disk/SSD in the order of 100 kB/s or some
small multitude thereof. Definitely smaller than 1MB/s.

That number at first looks like a serious load on the write endurance
of your SSD. Then, doing the math it turns out it's absolutely ridiculous.

100 kB/s sums up to 8,640 GB/day (in decimal units). Even the small
SSDs typically used for embedded devices like firewalls (32 or 64 G capacity)
have a write endurance in the order of 100 or 200 TBW.

That's more than 10.000 days or roughly 30 years ...

That's why I like following this discussion and every improvement is in
then end an improvement, but I consider it mostly a micro optimisation.

Kind regards,
Patrick

P.S. I don't use atime anywhere I knew.