Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 2015 22:21:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Federico Caminiti <demian.fc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-translators@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: CFT: PO/Gettext Translation System for FreeBSD DocBook Documents

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015, Federico Caminiti wrote:

> I've tried out the new translation system. It mostly seems to be working
> and I got the translation of the article donde quicker than before (to be
> fair I had already worked with the documentation as opposed to the first
> time I sent a patch, so I had some experience).
>
> The process was mostly straightforward, although it isn't clear to me from
> the documentation if we should send diffs for the xml files after we've
> applied the translation or just send the .po files. It would seem like the
> former if I'm reading the article correctly.

Right, the new chapter does not say what to do, because we needed
feedback on how translators would like to do it.

Benedict Reuschling of the German translation team translated the leap
seconds article and committed the article itself.

I think we could have translators commit the PO files.  The build system
would generate the XML books and articles as needed.

If people are able to share the PO files, it increases the translation
memory and makes translating other documents easier.  New translators
can build on the work of previous ones.

Taking it farther, there is Pootle, where most of the process happens
online.  PC-BSD is using it.

Which way to go probably depends on how many people are translating into
a particular language.  The way it is set up right now has the bare
minimum of overhead and allows translators to choose their own PO
editor.

What do you think?

> Sory for the delay, I meant to reply to your message sooner,
>
> Federico.

It has only been a week. :)  Thanks for your work!