Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:06:21 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merit radius detail files?

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 09:01:50AM -0400, William Bulley wrote:
> According to Andreas Klemm:
> >
> > What about asking the port maintainer to update the port or even
> > better to send diffs after doing the update yourself ?
>
> 1) I don't know who the "port maintainer" is...

In the ports directory there is a Makefile.
Within the Makefile there is a line
	MAINTAINER=	e-mail-address

> 2) I'm not certain what "updating the port" means and if that would
>    be considered (by the FreeBSD folks) as risking copyright issues

Ports collection is a Berkeley make Macro mechanism.
A "make all install" does everything from fetching from internet,
extract source in workdir, doing local changes via patches, compiling,
installing ... everything automatically.

See http://www.freebsd.org/ports

> 3) there are no diffs, each release is self-contained and stands
>    by itself, once we release, the old version is considered obsolete

But this release has a certain name and needs perhaps other local
diffs to make it into /usr/local ... and it has perhaps other
installed files, so the ports PLIST file needs certainly an update,
which is needed to install and remove ported software cleanly.

> If there are no legal entanglements (I'm not a lawyer!), then I
> think having the FreeBSD "port" reference our FTP site would be
> fine.  I think the only problem is in having the FreeBSD CD-ROM
> or ports collection also include (and hence distribute) our code.

Then the port gets a variable
NO_CDROM
in the Makefile ....

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?