Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 04:49:12 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Chen Zhao <zhaoc@cloud9.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

Chen Zhao wrote:
> \- Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> stated on
> /-	[Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:02:22PM -0800]:
> >
> > NDA's in this particular space serve a limited set of purposes:
> >
> >  - They constitute engineering damage control; witness Realtek's
> >    unhappiness at Bill's honest commentary on their documented parts.
>

> Oh, is there also a recommended gigabit adapter?  Tigon?  Intel?

STAY AWAY FROM THE INTEL GIG CARDS!!  (Sorry for the shouting, but
it is an important point).

I have the NDA'ed docs for the Intel gig and fxp cards.  After Intel's
spectacular efforts to bury Johnathan Lemon's driver for their gig card
(that outperformed the Intel Linux driver by something like a factor of 5),
I have lost all respect for Intel's networking division.

As long as Intel are being this stupid, Intel hardware is never going to be
well supported.  The fxp driver is starting to slip behind because Intel
wont give DG updated fxp docs without him signing an NDA that prevents him
from releasing the updated driver.

Cheers,
-Peter