Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:17:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Helge Oldach <ctm-announce@oldach.net>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Cc:        mark@grondar.org
Subject:   Re: CTM - any users left?

Peter Jeremy:
> On 2003-Jun-17 00:29:04 +0200, Julian Stacey <jhs@berklix.org> wrote:
> >At least one friend used to ftp the deltas, but didn't get them by
> >subscription.
>
> I get CTM by mail at work - CVSup isn't an option due to firewall
> restrictions (no outgoing access other than FTP and HTTP).
>
> At home, I normally FTP the CTM files - I find it more convenient than
> CVSup since I understand how it all fits together and can easily move
> the deltas between systems.  It also has the advantage of being part
> of the base system (and doesn't pull in Modula-2).

ACK! Plus, the modification time of the CTM deltas is maintained when
they are obtained through ftp, and then the modification time of the
src/ files is maintained through "ctm -u". This provides a rough idea at
what point in time a specific src file was changed, to easily correlate
with mailing lists.

Personally I obtain deltas through ftp, and distribute them further
through rsync (which also works through firewalls).

I don't object moving CTM to ports however. I don't care. But CTM is a
pretty small piece - why take the effort to change the current mode of
operation?

Helge