Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:27:25 -0800
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>, Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

After reading about the company with the divx codec that was
had to face the GPL issue, I began to wonder:

Their solution seemed to be making two halves of the program.
One piece that involved GPL code, and one that did not, and
then having the two pieces do IPC.

If for whatever reason, JFS ended up getting ported to FreeBSD,
could we construct a GPL-safe sandbox for things like a FS implementation
to live in?

If a JFS implementation was a userland process, would the kernel
be safe? (I'm thinking about BeOS.)

On a different note: I've been playing with SMP (bp6) systems
for a while, and with the hurdles that SMP faces, I begin to
wonder about an other question.

Would it be practical to run two different OS on two CPU on the
same box?

FreeBSD aside Linux for example? or Windows along side FreeBSD?

Or more likely, a low latency optimized GUI on one CPU and
a more or less normal kernel on the other.

(The MS snake is shorter than it used to be. (The end of support
on products like W95 is going to push people forward.) With
all of the stuff that MS is leveraging into W2k and beyond,
FreeBSD may need to get innovative to hold its relative position
as a technical and architectural leader.)

Thanks, [RC]