Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 14:30:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Patch for critical_enter()/critical_exit() & interrupt assem

:: after reverting the change and silently waiting for a week
:: 1/ no person bothered to review it.
:: 2/ people assumed the patch had gone away.
:
:Ummm, There are reviews in the archives that object to the API as it
:relates to optimization and those objections haven't been sanely
:answered with anything more constructive than "BS".
:
:Warner

    I think John has a right to object to the work based on it being an
    optimization, but that should not sufficient reason in anyone's book to
    veto a commit, especially something that is as straightforward and
    obvious as I believe my work to be in this case.  Unlike John, I am
    not the type of person who leaves hundreds of kilobytes of patches laying
    around my tree.  For me completed work is either committable, or it
    should be thrown away.

    John's other objections - in regards to interference with future work,
    are completely unsubstantiated.  He has not explained any reasoning for
    his objections AT ALL other then to make vague, undirected comments
    about how it doesn't fit with his idea of the world.  He pointed me to
    a 10-page mini paper and I even after reading it I do not see how any
    of my work inteferes with anything he is doing.

    Not a single person beyond John has voiced ANY objection to work beyond
    the "wait for John to get back" objection and the "talk to John"
    objection.  Not one person.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>