Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2018 15:01:43 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        starikarp@yandex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.0 or 11.2

> On 15 December 2018, at 05:08, starikarp@yandex.com wrote:
>=20
> Hi!
>=20
> I did change hard drive with bad condition with the SSD drive and I am
> ready for the new install of FreeBSD which I am using on the desktop
> computer which is iMac.
> On the FreeBSD forum are many complains about new 12.0 release and I =
am
> not sure if is safe to install it or install the 11.2 which worked for
> me all the time.

That depends on how you are using it.  12.0 is a major system upgrade.  =
There are a number of changes in various parts of the system.  This is =
normal for a major system upgrade.  It can make it a bit difficult if =
you have lots of your own code and it relies on something that has =
changed.  The defaults for openssl have changed, and basename_r has been =
eliminated.  My code was relying on both of those.  I have had to make =
changes.  Figuring out the cause of the problems does take some effort.  =
It's not seamless.  However, the base system seems to be quite stable.  =
I have been beating it about since it came out and have not seen any =
issues other than the deliberate changes.  It would be nice if all those =
changes were documented, but I suspect that document would be so long no =
one would have the time to read it anyway.  You are going to have to go =
to 12 sometime.  You can kick the can down the road a bit and hope you =
have more time available then to deal with any issues.  However, in my =
experience that doesn't work.  I never have more time down the road.

-- Doug