Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 12:00:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> Peter Mutsaers writes:
> >I also install tcl almost on all machines I use. But that doesn't mean
> >that it should be in the main tree instead of in ports. The main tree
> >should contain only the base OS? Ports is for all the nice optional
> >extras.
>
> >I'd like more to see perl be removed from the main tree (since perl4
> >is outdated anyway, and perl5 is in ports).
>
> You can't remove perl from the main tree ;-))) Many sytem tools are
> written in perl. Don't waste your time to rewrite them in C because
> you don't like perl!

True, but the tcl move seems to raise other questions, doesn't it ...
like, why should we have tcl without tk?  If we have tk, shouldn't we
have XFree86?

Don't leap to the conclusion that I'd be against it, either, if it were
done well.  I am beginning to wonder if keeping FreeBSD strictly out of X
means keeping it 10 years behind current technology (in some respects, at
least).  Keeping FreeBSD lean and mean also means keeping the
administration tools hamstrung, and the user interface rocky.  Think of
what the standard FreeBSD could be if it wasn't quite so lean.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |