Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:49:11 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine?

>Or we could all do what the Linux community did two and three years ago
>(when they were in our position). When you buy a NIC, soundcard or any
>other hardware ask the manufacturer for a FreeBSD driver. Ask Dell and
>Gateway for preinstalls of FreeBSD.

Agreed..and I've heard this recommended before.

>Don't refer to Open Source Unix applications as "Linux apps".

Yes! Very good point!

I agree with everything you've said but would add
that it wouldn't hurt to take a more proactive
approach and make an effort to contact the
advertisers directly, whether by email or phone and
not just when you purchase a new NIC or soundcard.

I think it would be a good idea to pick up a few of
the most popular magazines, take note of who some
of their most prominent advertisers are and send
them a polite message.

As stated in a previous email, I plan to contact as
many publishers and now advertisers as I can and
will post the feedback I get here.  Though, it will
take more than one person's efforts to make a dent.

Joe

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          David Johnson|
|        |          <djohnson@acu|
|        |          son.com>     |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/02/00     |
|        |          04:32 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     Joe Warner/SMS@SMS                        |
  |       cc:     freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org,             |
  |       freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org                       |
  |       Subject:     Re: BSD Magazine?                    |

Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

> So, it seems if a BSD focused magazine is to become a reality, efforts
need
> be made to spread the word to the advertisers as well as publishers, with
> heavy emphasis on the previous.

Or we could all do what the Linux community did two and three years ago
(when they were in our position). When you buy a NIC, soundcard or any
other hardware ask the manufacturer for a FreeBSD driver. Ask Dell and
Gateway for preinstalls of FreeBSD. Ask your software vendors when they
will be porting their stuff to FreeBSD. The answer to all of the above
will be "no" and "never", but it will plant the name "FreeBSD" into
their heads.

And we also need to do some stuff that they never even had a problem
with... Don't refer to Open Source Unix applications as "Linux apps".
When an article talks about "Apache, the Linux software", gently and
*politely* remind them that Apache works with all Unix systems,
including FreeBSD, Solaris et al (it's okay to fail to mention NT :-) ).
When you hear of an announcement to port a program to Linux, ask whether
it will also be ported to FreeBSD.

Eventually it will dawn on these advertisers and publishers that there
is this thing out there called FreeBSD and that its users have money to
spend.

David