Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 17:45:48 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, kris@airnet.net
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small Request

Yes, it's also at http://www.xfree86.org/pr-980407.html

> Given the history of XFree86 and its volunteer work force it makes sense.

I don't understand [yet].  My understanding from the FAQ was that the
XFree86 group was explicitly excluded from paying the fees.
Unfortunately, the link from the XFree86 home page was incorrect, and
I can't find the relevant information on the OpenGroup website.  How I
wish people would specify the correct URLs...

Ah, here it is--I found it last Friday on a different machine:
http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/x/xlicensefaq.htm.  It
states specifically (answer to second question):

     X Window System technology continues to be free to the "free"
     community. We've heard rumblings that this change will force
     suppliers of "free" technology to stop shipping X11. We don't
     agree. Organizations like XFree86 will continue to be able to
     distribute X as they do today. But, companies who take the "free"
     technology and sell it, will not. Companies making money
     distributing X Window System technology should support its
     development. Many do not today. The end result is that there is
     not enough funds to keep it going. The "free" community may feels
     they want to reimplement the technology so they can give it away
     to other companies to sell. That could fragment the industry.

OK, I'll look more carefully at the legalese.  I've also looked more
carefully at David's original message and discovered that he had asked
us not to discuss it in the FreeBSD lists.  Sorry about that, David--I
missed it, and since I didn't want to reply to the lists you
mentioned, I didn't even notice that there was a specific Reply-To:

I think we should respect David's request and close the discussion.

Greg