Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:13:12 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.mcestate.com>
Cc:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, "Vnotchenko S.S." <sergey@extech.msk.su>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [H] Optimal computer for FreeBSD

>> >  Always use parity RAM on servers, especially if you are buying
>> >everything from scratch.
>> >  EDO doesn't give you much of a improvement if your motherboard supports
>> >pipeline-burst-cache.

>> My guess is that it doesn't, since the cache is built into the CPU...
>> :-)

>	Actually, from what Rodney Grimes had told me, the cache built
>into the CPU is the L1 (Level 1) cache while the L2 cache is the cache on
>the motherboard, with Pipeline Burst Caching, it will give like the same

Nope, you are completely wrong.  Go read the specs for yourself
sometime.  You can find them at http://www.intel.com/.

The Pentium Pro (sometimes known as the P6) has a dual-well carrier
design that has both the L1 and the L2 cache in the "chip".  I. e.,
there are two separate pieces of silicon, but they are both in the
same package.  There is no L3 cache on the motherboard.

Note that the Klamath will be different.  The L2 cache will not be in
the same chip carrier.  But it will not be on the "motherboard",
either.  The Klamath will be delivered in some kind of funky
"cartridge" that contains the CPU, cache, and supposedly some other
support circuitry.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net