Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:52:00 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Personal patches

Juli Mallett wrote:
> There are some of Rush's statements which do offend me in a
> measurable way, but that's not the point.  The point is, if you're
> one of the people who takes comfort in seeing these things (I can
> only imagine that they're *not* actually intended to be funny, even
> if they *are* light-hearted in Rush's way [I've listened to him a
> lot over time, and I think I at least vaguely understand the slant
> of his wit, as it were],) then you're probably happy to see them
> come on your screen now and then, amidst the likes of the below*
> (since you clearly have offensive fortunes shown to you on login,)
> and if you're not a big fan, take comfort in the converse.

The point is, Rush Limbaugh means nothing to the vast majority of
people in the world (I said that in my mail but you didn't quote it or
respond to it).  I wouldn't object to a witty but bigoted quote among
the offensive fortunes by, say, Chesterton or Churchill, but including
people like Limbaugh just mystifies non-US people and gives a bad
impression, in my opinion (just as you'd be mystified if SuSE Linux
chose to include some unfunny, unperceptive, bigoted quotes by a
German you'd never heard of, whose cultural context you didn't
understand, and told you "if you're offended don't read it").  Perhaps
you disagree.

My objection is not to reading Limbaugh when I type fortune -o (when I
do that I'm prepared to be offended) -- it's to the aesthetic idea of
putting Limbaugh into a free operating system which is available and
respected internationally.

Rahul