Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:47:44 -0500
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@UPMC.EDU>
To:        spellberg_robert <emailrob@emailrob.com>, "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: lcd monitor manufacturer recommendation request

You could get an LCD monitor that only has the 15 pin connection, then you =
can
choose refresh rate and play with modelines. At least on the Viewsonic LCD =
I have
which is 5 years old I had to do that to get it working. That is if you rea=
lly want to keep doing such things.

=20
> > My recommendation is to go to a shop, look at several
> > monitors and take the one you like best, irrespective
> > of the manufacturer.  Do *NOT* buy an LCD display that
> > you haven't seen with your own eyes before.  I'm serious.
>=20
> holy moses !!!
>=20
> you are reinforcing my long_held belief that lcd is a downgrade from crt.
>=20
>=20
> > By the way, back in the CRT days, my favourite was EIZO.
>=20
> not familiar, but, i've heard the name.
> maybe, i saw some in grad_school.
> i --know-- i saw the name on a retailer's web_site, yesterday.
>=20
> > I disliked Sony.
>=20
> freedom_of_choice is good [ that'll get the secret_police after me ].
>=20

I'll second you belief that LCD are worse than CRTs for the most part. I re=
ally
like the Apple LCD monitors but these are in the high end range of LCD moni=
tors
once you start up there the picture quality and resolutions start to match =
that of CRTs,=20
in my opinion. The only thing I don't miss from my CRTs is the high pitch h=
um and
reduced desk space.

For the record my favorite CRTs were from SGI . The two I had were manufact=
ured by LG,
so my second LCD was an LG for this reason. It is definitely better than th=
e Viewsonic, but=20
still not as good picture wise as the CRTs, IMO.

Rod Person=20
Sr. Programmer=20
(412)454-2616=20
http://www.ccbh.com=20

"An educator never says what he himself thinks, but only that which he thin=
ks it is good for those whom he is educating to hear."-Nietzsche