Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 23:50:41 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brett or no Brett?

Nothing I've posted so far has been outside the charter of the
list, and I've always done my best to be civil and to post on
issues which are timely and relevant. My most recent messages,
in which I have explicitly traced my course as I've researched
the logistics of creating a new FreeBSD distribution, should be
of interest to anyone who might one day want to do the same --
or who cares about how amenable FreeBSD might be to the creation
of distributions other than those now sold by Walnut Creek CDROM.

Nonetheless, there seems to be a relatively small group of people
who can be relied upon to pounce on anyone one who asks questions
that are, er, inconvenient. And it should be pointed out that Greg,
in particular, has a special interest in the outcome of the current
discussion. Walnut Creek publishes his book on FreeBSD and distributes
it as part of several products. The introduction of new products from
other sources might constitute competition for his publisher and also
for his book and products that contain it. It is possible that his
derogatory comments, quoted below, may be motivated, in whole or in
part, by such concerns.

It is also possible that some folks might find the issues on which I've
been posting to be uninteresting to them personally. That's fine, and
it often happens on mailing lists; it's hardly grounds to squelch the
poster so long as the messages do not violate the charter of the list.
However, any attempt to intimidate, shame, shun, or otherwise "gang up
on" any contributor to the list -- especially when that person has raised
valid issues -- is an attempt at censorship. Such activities should not be
tolerated in ANY community -- and most especially not in an open source
development community.

--Brett Glass