Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:33:01 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: itcl and iwidgets (was Re: Question about maintainers)

--On Friday, July 29, 2005 06:08:34 +0200 pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi Paul;
>
> AFAIK I submitted the last itcl/itk update. One reason why your new port
> doesn't work may be because iwidgets hasn't been updated (it's not an easy
> task). There is more information on the PR for itcl and in a thread on
> -ports, but it all sums up to itcl/itk ports being ill conceived
> (hacked).
>
> After looking at NetBSD's pkgsrc and Darwin ports I got to the conclusion
> that we need a new itcl-devel port that grabs the latest bits (containing
> both itcl and itk) from the CVS; that way an updated iwidgets port can
> find a consistent itcl tree and configure properly. I just never found
> the time to fix itcl properly so for the time being I only cleaned some
> of the hacks we had been using for years.

They seem to be working fine here.  :-)

The problem that I had was that the script used wish.  I was using SUB_LIST
and SUB_FILES to change that to wish8.4, but wish couldn't find iwidgets.
After googling some, I changed it to tclsh8.4, and now the script runs fine
and the program works.

I'll be submitting the port in the near future, after I'm done verifying
that every step works as intended.

I'm also fiddling with a new iwidgets port now.  If I get it working, I'll
submit it as well.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas