Date:      Sun, 08 Jul 2001 04:02:20 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wes@softweyr.com, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

> On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com> wrote:
> > > And as far as distribution goes, if my vote counts, I would suggest
> > > that anyone should have the right to sell (or give away) copies for
> > > whatever price they want.  The more copies, the better!  I fail to
> > > see why FreeBSD distribution should be "guided" to certain entities
> > > based on their political contributions.
>
> > FSL have thought quite a bit about this -- what's acceptable as a
> > FreeBSD release.  We need some sort of balance.  On one hand, we (the
> > FreeBSD project) want to encourage distributors to produce copies of
> > FreeBSD with added-value.  On the other hand, we don't want to end up
> > with the linux-effect.
>
> Really?  I was hoping to see a new disto with the FreeBSD userland
> wrapped around a Linux kernel :-)  Or was it the other way around...
>
> But as far as "added-value" goes, why wouldn't minimum cost be an
> added value to a potential customer?  I think that the companies
> like Cheapbytes serve a social purpose in this regard.

I'm not having a go at Cheapbytes.  I'm just saying that their CDs
should be labeled official or unofficial based on their content.  If
they want to drop the base ISO image onto a CD and sell it, then
they're as official as anybody else.

> > So I think the idea of an ``official'' distribution is good, but only
> > insofar as that implies that the distribution contains a specific
> > base system.  Anyone who mucks about with that official base system
> > in a way that's not controlled by the user should not be allowed to
> > call their distribution ``official''.
>
> Sure, no argument there.  Taking Wes' suggestion, maybe there is an
> opportunity in the "official" distribution distinction.  How about a
> "certificate of authenticity" which costs the vendors $1 or $2 (or
> whatever), and shows the customer that their choice of vendors helped
> FreeBSD financially.  Incidentally, this certificate might also be a
> selling point for those twisted individuals that just don't understand
> free software :-)

Companies that sell CDs shouldn't necessarily be limited in the ways
that they can give back to the project.  If a company (WRS for
example) are forking out lots of money to the FreeBSD project
already, why should they have to now send money to the foundation ?

Besides, our software is free, it's not shareware.

--
Brian <brian@freebsd-services.com>                <brian@Awfulhak.org>
      http://www.freebsd-services.com/        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>