Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 17:52:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        coredump@nervosa.com (invalid opcode)
Cc:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

> On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Narvi wrote:
> > Talking about real good GUIs... How do you define one? Windows certainly
> > 	Sander
>
> NeXTStep.
> Why is it that all good ideas are never liked by the stupid human public.

Because of the lame proprietary technology you have to license to
implement the idea (Display PostScript) and the lame idea of making
your computer run like a snail whenever you print by moving the
processing (PostScript) from the printer to the computer because
it's too expensive to implement any other way?

The GUI was cool, the "Objective C" was "Objectionable" (we'll just
define this *new* language so we don't have to learn C++ and because
we thing we can jack GCC into compiling it without giving the sources
out so it can be ported to other platforms).  The browser was cool,
the "dock" was OK (I guess; it was pretty limited in the number of
apps it could contain), and the login screen was cool.

The initial lack of color really sucked.  The use of mixed text and
binary databases for things sucked.  The inability to use a remote
display sucked.  The "Mach domain" sockets sucked.  The need to
load apps from a server and run them locally instead of running on
an application server sucked.  The lack of a floppy drive sucked.
The speed of the optical sucked.

The black cube was cool.  The Motorolla DSP was cool.  More than one
button on the mouse was cool (three would have been better).  "Write Now"
was cool. The paint program was cool.

The keyboard connector was cheap.  The missing key in the "T" bar keys
was cheap.  The power button was annoying (in combination, it made it
impossible to emulate a VT220 without using composition keys).

I can't see why developers didn't flock to it.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.