Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:17:55 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, dg@root.com, mishania@demos.su, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1 - rumours?

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> So the answer is - if people like Mishania want to see less frequent
> release then they're going to have to work A WHOLE LOT HARDER on
> the BETAs and the GAMMAs!  We had GAMMA out for a month and hardly
> anyone tested it.  Maybe if I only gave people an hour before removing
> the bits again, they'd be more motivated, but giving them plenty
> of time does NOT appear to work at all. :-)

Yah.  Maybe slightly more accurately; the same people test the GAMMA
releases as tested the BETA releases, and the ALPHA releases, and
-current leading up to all that, so the bugs that these users are
going to find have already been found and fixed.

Here, for example, we have been shipping various flavours of 2.2 on
systems for the best part of 12 months.  In that period, all of the
problems we have encountered have been fixed; I did my damndest to
find anything I could complain about over the whole BETA/GAMMA cycle,
but I and other people in the same position have already been
appeased; it is _essential_ for users that are looking for a stable
release to participate in the pre-release testing.