Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:13:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa)
Cc:        leo@talcom.net, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel announces Xeon!!! Was Re: PPro vs PII

Atipa wrote...

> This thread is now obselete, since the new Xeon has the best features of
> both chips.
>
> Features		Comment
> -------------------	--------------------
> 400Mhz CPU		Fast as fastest P2
> 400MHz cache		1:1 caching (like PPro)
> DIB			Dual Independent Bus (from P2; double bandwidth)
> 1MB L2 cache		From PPro.
> 36-bit memory		Supports over 64GB RAM cached (best yet)

	Although the 450NX chipset only support 8GB DRAM.  The interesting
thing is, the chipset supports 36-bit addressing.

> 8-way SMP capable	Better than both (w/o weird chipsets)

	Well, the Xeon itself only has "native" support for 4-way SMP.
(despite what Intel's product brief says:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumii/xeon/prodbref/

Their data sheet for the Xeon:

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumii/xeon/datashts/243770.htm

indicates that it only has "native" support for 4-way SMP.  To do otherwise
would require changing the P6 processor bus, which they haven't done.)

The 450NX chipset apparantly has provision for connecting a 3rd party
"cluster bridge" to the system bus and the "MIOC" (memory and I/O controller).
The thing they say is that the 3rd party cluster bridge would operate at
"reduced frequencies".  (see:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pcisets/450nx/index.htm)

Their "and beyond" statement on that page leads me to believe that you
could probably have a cluster bridge that connects more than two P6 busses.
For instance, you could have 8 groups of 450NX chipsets, each with 4
Xeon processors and 8GB of RAM, all connected by third-party processor bus
bridges.  Since the chips and the chipsets all support 36-bit addressing,
you would be able to address all 64GB of memory from any one of the 32
processors.  Sounds neat.

> "Cluster Support"	Can cluster 4 servers? Ask Intel on that...

	I think the "cluster support" refers to clusters of Xeon processors
connected by processor bus bridge chips, like Corollary supposedly makes.
I think Intel bought them.  Axil (http://www.axil.com) already makes 8-way
systems.  But I think they've been pretty much shut down.  See:

http://www.eet.com/news/98/1014news/cuts.html

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry