Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:01:20 -0800
From:      Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aliased IPs

At 04:52 PM 12/16/98 +0100, you wrote:
>> As our web hosting business grows, I'm finding myself aliasing more and
>> more IP addresses to accomodate.  FreeBSD and apache are holding up like
>> champs, but my local routing tables are getting a little big.
>
>Why do you need one IP address per website?  You can use Apache's ability
>to distinguish between different virtual hosts based on the server name
>passed by almost all browsers currently in use.

ALMOST being the defining factor.  We find that webhosting covers a whole
range of people.  While we get a whole range of webhost accounts the
majority are small businesses operated by people with very little or no
knowledge of computers or the internet.  I do everything I can to make
their sites work 100% of the time for ALL customers.  This means if someone
hits the site with some goofy browser that doesn't pass the sitename to the
server, it should still function.

We have a ton of open IP's.  Because of this I just assign a separate IP to
each site.  We'll be starting on our third class-C soon and I don't see a
problem continuing this way.

Why do you need to run OSPF?  Is your webserver on the same ethernet
segment as your dialup traffic?  As far as the webserver goes, just make a
static route for the whole /24 and let it go.

Are there people running full production webserver off of one IP address?
Have you had any problems?