Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2019 14:17:32 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, Igor Mozolevsky <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Hackers freeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strategic Thinking (was: Re: Speculative: Rust for base  system components)

In message <79361.1546639367@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Poul-Henning Kamp"
writes:
> --------
> In message <201901042142.x04LgKkQ045885@slippy.cwsent.com>, Cy Schubert write
> s:
>
> >> FreeBSD should aim for that room, rather than become "Linux-sans-GPL"
> >
> >We should try to fit into the datacentre.
>
> ... and RPi's, access-points, NAS devices, routers, televisions, photocopiers
> ,
> sewage-treatment-plant-monitoring, high-voltage-switching,
> stock-trading, air-traffic-control, scientific super-computing,
> antiproliferation-monitoring, laptops, desktops and ...
>
> I hope you get the point ?

That's exactly my point. What subset of things can and should we focus
on?

Adding or replacing a language or languages in base should be
consistent with the long-term direction of The Project. What is that?
Getting back to why this sub-thread was spawned off the main thread in
the first place: Is it strategic to add rust to base? (Remember when
Perl was in base?)

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>