Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:28:46 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlist2@HotPOP.com>
To:        "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lament about freebsd sacrifices

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:29:20 +0930
"Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net> wrote:

> [Moved to -chat]
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:36:05AM -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:
>
> > I thought I would post this as something of a warning.  Using
> > FreeBSD as a primary, non-dual-boot OS means sacrificing.  Here is
> > a partial list of sacrifices, as compared to Microsoft Windows XP:
> >
> > * webcam ball
> > * flatbed scanner
> > * color printer
> > * digital cameras
> > * firewire devices
> > * several USB 1 and 2 devices
> > * IM software features such as voice and video chat
> > * websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls
> > * MP3 devices
> >
> > Any major sacrifices I've forgotten?  ":-\

Think of as a chance to encourange hardware makers to make hardware
that does not suck and actually confirms to actual standards.

BTW firewire support exists under FBSD.

Don't see why not being able to use websites that think ActiveX is for
web is a bad thing. I personally would put this on there as a definite
positive.

Check the ports, you will find software capable of voice and video
chat.

Digital cameras do not work well under FBSD? I personally like FBSDs
ability to access flash cards and it is possible with nearly any cheap
flash card reader readily aviable at nearly any halfway decent store.
The same is true MP3 devices.

In many of these areas it basically boils down to don't support
companies that make bad hardware as you will get screwed regardless of
what OS you are running, including windows. Why even windows? What if
this fly by night company disappears or a new version of windows is
released then what are you going to do for hardware support? Simple,
you are generally screwed. If you support good hardware, your time
will be nicely rewarded.

I have been finding outside of playing the occasional game, I have no
reason to use windows what so ever since what I need and want is
generally as well as supported under FBSD as on Windows and in some
areas even better supported.