Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:14:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andy <deimos@lewman.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.5 now available . . . . .

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> > And honestly, I don't have the time to debug
> > it.  It didn't work, I went back to what worked.  Is that so bad?
>
> 	Nope, it's your life, spend the time whatever way feels right to you.
> However, I think most of us would appreciate it if you don't "knock"
> something you're not willing to put even the smallest amount of effort
> into improving.

	I was going to let this go, but not now.  My opinion is just one
data point on a whole range of points about stability.  Just because I
don't take the time to re-submit the same PR doesn't mean I don't
help.  I've offered to help with many things in the FreeBSD community,
they just aren't code related.  My coding skills aren't on par with
anything written for FreeBSD today.  I volunteered to call Aureal to get
sound drivers, and offered Cameron Grant any sound board he wanted, if it
would help him develop drivers for it.  I called Aureal, and some of the
other sound chip vendors, to get an SDK that an open source OS could
use.  I don't have US$10,000 to volunteer to a project so they can get an
SDK, sorry.
	I've learned my lesson, any digression from the norm in BSD land
is just bad.  God forbid someone raise a flag that everything isn't as
smooth as is believed.  Next time, I'll just keep my mouth shut.  Jeez.

--

|  Andy   |     e-mail      |      web       |
|         | andy@lewman.com | www.lewman.com |

In Corning, Iowa, it's a misdemeanor for a man to ask his wife to ride
in any motor vehicle.