Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:37:12 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
> True, but what makes SPAM different from other forms of
> advertising is the cost model.
> To fix the problem technically, you need to change the cost model,
> or have some sort of authentication for email.  Both of these are
> a long way from general use, unfortunately.

I agree with this somewhat, however I am loathe to make cost dependent
in any way on content. In order to preserve the status quo of
communication, I'd like to be absolutely content neutral. If the cost
were based on the amount of mail sent, I'd say that would be
sufficient.

> (BTW, do you think you could fix your reference headers before you
> get into another mega-discussion with Terry, so it's easier for me
> to find the entertaining parts?  ;-)

Heh. I'm using the mailing list, which is perhaps why references
headers (an artifact of NNTP) don't process here.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"Trying to control information in the network age is about
as successful as pissing into the wind."
       - Keith Henson, in an article on the AABBS prosecution,
                 _Computer_underground_Digest_, Jan. 21, 1995.