Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:59:33 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
Cc:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cursor (trackpoint) "creep" with moused?

--==_Exmh_-871450593P

> Toshiba trackpoints will ocasionally recalibrate themselves, which
> manifests as about 5 seconds of creep - longer if you try and fight it :).

Exactly - this in fact, was what I was doing, which I've only realised
since I understood the underlying mechanism.

As soon as I noticed the creep, I'd both become acutely aware of it, and
try to compensate for it - which made it persist. When I first saw this,
I thought that the trackpoint hadn't correctly returned to a neutral
position, so I'd try to provide input and hope that it would, in fact,
center itself (and at least I'd keep the mouse near where I wanted it to
be).

I seem to have never lost this habit - which is, of course, precisely
what you /shouldn't/ do, if the hardware is to compensate for some bias.

Now, in fact, I'm having fun with it. I can provoke it at will by gently
applying pressure in a single direction. After a few seconds, it
"notices" that there's an inbuilt bias, and the creep will stop - at
which point, releasing the pressure gives a creep in the opposite
direction, which similarly lasts for a few seconds before it corrects
again.

> At least on toshiba my porteget 300CT and 320CT laptops lthis is so, and I
> hear from many other toshiba users that this is 'normal'.
>
> As for minutes of creep (the original poster mentioned it fixing itself
> after 45 seconds...)

Heh. This would appear to be some kind of time dilation effect due to
irritation. It certainly doesn't take that long now...

Thanks all!

AS

--==_Exmh_-871450593P

--==_Exmh_-871450593P--