Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 02:27:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu, tlambert@primenet.com, dkelly@hiwaay.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uncle Sam, got a million bucks?

> Wine has always required more than a "little push", it's required a
> Saturn rocket up the ass.  When compared to real solutions like SoftPC
> from Insignia solutions, it's not even close to being sufficient for
> the intended purpose (running popular Win95 binaries, in case people
> forgot) and I doubt that it ever will be.

I agree with Jordan on this one.  Even quadrupling my time estimates,
I come out with under 3 years for a small 5 man team to make a WIN32
capable of running MicroSoft Office.  The 5 coders would have to be
*serious* about getting the job done.  The WINE project, though well
intentioned, just doesn't seem very serious to me.  8-(.

> Sorry for the rampant pessimism but I've watched that project for
> going on 3 years now and I think I could grow old and die waiting for
> it to bear any real fruit.  They bit off more than they could chew and
> it wouldn't be the first time somebody's done that.

It's not so much that as they bit off the wrong thing.  The were doing
Windows 3.1 calls when Win32 was already out.

They also have a terrible metric for completeness of interfaces in the
case of a failure, where if they have implemented N out of M interfaces,
and M >> N, they report that they support (N/(N+1))* 100 % of the required
interfaces.

This makes things look more complete than they are, but it also means
that it makes the project look like it's never making any progress.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.