Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:08:27 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-10 -> FreeBSD-9.9 ?

On Oct 25, 2011, at 1:51 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <201110250918.28709.hselasky@c2i.net>, Hans Petter Selasky =
writes:
>=20
>> Why not use 9.5.x ?
>=20
> I'm surprised that people even ask:  Because FreeBSD is all about
> doing things right and solve problems, rather than just kludge around
> them ?

9.9 is a kludge until the auto config scripts that still "support" =
freebsd 1.x due to some mistaken cargo-cult programming are fixed to =
de-stupify them.  That code has been cut and paste for like 18 years, =
but maybe for the past 13 years it hasn't worked in the projects it used =
to work on (since they've moved on) and in many it never worked and =
likely hasn't been tested in at least 10 years due to the difficulty in =
even getting FreeBSD 1.x systems to test with prior to the lifting of =
the bans put in place to settle the AT&T lawsuit.

As such, the offending code should be fixed, not just patched around =
with bogus version numbers.

Warner