Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:54:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, semen@iclub.nsu.ru
Subject:   Re: Sony SDT-7000 Tape won't write 4Gig

On Fri, 13 February 1998 at  9:49:09 -0500, sbabkin@dcn.att.com wrote:

>> ----------
>> From: 	Ustimenko Semen[SMTP:semen@iclub.nsu.ru]

>>  As a wrote - it is SDT-7000 realy:)
>>
> By the way, I can share some experience from using DDS. As I've
> found there are two major manufacturers of DDS drives: Sony and
> HP. From others I saw ARCHIVE (?) Viper in ICLs and it is so bad
> that it does not deserve any discussion, they can not survive
> even 2 weeks of operation.

This presumably demonstrates the usefulness of ICLs.

As I have frequently reported on this list, I had nothing but trouble
with HP DDS-1 drives.  I had 4 of them, and they lived between 5 and 8
months.  That changed when I got an HP DDS-2 drive, which lasted over
a year.  I've been using an Archive changer now for 15 months, and
haven't had any trouble (although I'm beginning to wonder if the
original topic isn't biting me too: I'm only getting 2.7 GB on a 90m
tape, too much for no compression and very little for compression).

> HP uses OEM Sony drives in their cheap DDS devices designated for
> PCs, and own HP drives in RISC servers. The latest are more expensive
> (twice?) but a lot better.

This is news to me.  Which model numbers?

> The problem with Sony drives is that even with extensive use of
> cleaning cartridges at some point (like 150-200 full tape backups,
> with cleaning after each other backup) they come to the point when
> use of cleaning tape in any amount can't stop the 'need cleaning'
> light from blinking. Disassembling and cleaning up them manually
> helps but only for something like 5 full tape backups. HP drives
> have no such problem, they live a lot longer, and it takes very many
> backups together with very few cleanings to kill them (yes, I saw
> dead one, peoples have used it for half a year without any
> cleaning).

I did that once on my first DDS-1 drive--it came without instructions,
and nobody knew it needed cleaning.  It didn't do any better or any
worse than the other ones, which I *did* clean.

Greg